Wednesday, April 25, 2007

WAHM: "What's For Dinner?"

As I debate whether to wake my toddler from her carseat nap or begin dinner prep, I wonder about the dinnertime wizardry other WAHMs work. What's your favorite fall-back default dinner? Your up-against-a-deadline, no-time-to-shop, if-I-were-single-I'd-eat-a-bowl-of-cereal-and-call-it-a-night-but-I'm-not-single-and-everyone's-hungry specialty?

Mine is beef rolls, which I don't eat, but my husband loves. I chop mushrooms and celery, and mix that with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. I spread the mixture on very thin pieces of beef, then roll them like a jelly roll. I cook them stove top in just a bit of olive oil, adding water and extra mushrooms to make a nice sauce. They go together in about five minutes and cook in less than that.

I choose dinner prep. Chop, chop, chop... Ah! No bread crumbs. Geez, this happened last time, too, and I had to use some middle aged stuffing to stand in for the bread crumbs. Rummage, rummage... stuffing's all gone. Hubby will be home in 20 minutes and I hear my angel calling from the garage. I'm looking at a choice between low fat Pringles and bran flakes. What would you do?




No comments: